Monday, June 4, 2018

We're here!

Hi folks,
Photo by Elea Carey
We have landed safely. We are so happy but also exhausted. So the writing will not be great but hopefully evocative. I'm sorry I am not writing individual hellos, I just want to catch you up on the general stuff and then will start checking in.

Ann took off with Bodie and met up with her friend Elea a week ahead of Caitlin and Sailor. While Bodie was a great traveler she was unable to go many places as it was too hot to leave him in the car.



Hence, his utter relief at having his own fenced yard and own cool concrete slab to lie on.

.

















So far, he lies on that much of the time when he's not romping through the fields


Sailor escaped the night before he and I were to fly out. His calming drugs turned him into a maniac. Hence any of you neighbors who heard me calling him from 3 to 4 to 5 to 5:30 when he finally came home, forgive me.

We caught another flight a few hours later and he was largely a good kitty as he eventually realized he was destined to lockup forever in his little kennel without ever seeing the sun again.

He peed twice, but fortunately I had pee pads and my friend Diane advised making a stack of them which I just removed as needed. Smart!




The house is beyond expectations. You may recall we bought it without my ever having seen it before. It feels much like our Seattle house but with two extra rooms and a huge
huge
huge
yard.
Field. Four acres. A big honkin plot of land.

It has its own racetrack and hoceka. We could have our own Dance there!

First meal at home.
We've just learned the truck won't get here till Friday. That means camping some more which is tricky but we're getting used to it. Who brings a card table in her trunk on a cross country trip? Ann Pancake.

We have been to Walmart four times, three times more than I've ever been in my life.



Sailor can't go outside till at least tomorrow. I think he will come back but I know I can't keep him in, that's our agreement for him coming back.

We are checking each other for ticks.

We slept in about an hour just lying in stunned silence touching feet. We made it babe, was the gist of the conversation.

We have not been to Dairy Queen yet.

When a chip reader did not respond, the disgusted clerk said "did it just froze again?

We have a barn and a root cellar and a riding mower.

Okay, here's the most important part. It is a quiet bred of absolutely real living. Yes there are cars going up the road but you hear each of them at a time, no steady droning. The birds are loud and boisterous and happy in the morning. They are free to be.
The air is very fresh and if you get hot you open a window and it immediately cools. There is green everywhere, from trees to grass to bushes.

People are incredibly friendly. It is calm. I feel my shoulders unhunching
Taking over the one surface....

View from the house

Shitake mushroom growing thing


I am going to lie there most of the day tomorrow. 
Still our field.



Where would you look for a light for this hallway? If you said inside the closet you'd be right...



Original coal chute!



View from the field.


House on left, root cellar in the middle, barn on right. 

Daisies Ann had waiting in a cup for me. 

View as you do the dishes.

Sailor freaking out again. 

We miss you. Come see us. 



9 comments:

  1. I am so happy you’re home... together! So sorry Sailor struggled the night before... Cats. We still love them a LOT! I can just feel the stress rolling off your selves. Love it! Can’t wait to hear more! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you’re finally home together! And Sailor... silly boy. Cats. We still love them a LOT! I can feel the stress rolling off. Life will be soooooo fantastic! Can’t wait to hear how it’s all unfolding... xoxo Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - happy to hear you all made it safe and sound! Hopefully the journey wasn't too crazy.

    Oh I am so excited for phase of your adventure! I love you so much and miss you already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this in the morning, in bed yesterday, before rising... and somewhere between the "we made it babe" touching toes and the sound of cars going down, one at a time, the birds and the fields and the way the buildings hold the memories of past and are so whole heartedly welcoming you all, I realized my eyes had watered out onto my face. The green... oh the green. It fills my heart to see it, and now I understand the longing I always feel when I think of that land and you both on it. It is just ... a haven and you are home. I feel the sweetness of Iowa in me calling me too, or just the wonder of being in the countryside, fields, birds, foxes. Wonderful. Wishing you all so much love settling in. Bodie - great that you have that cool slab on which to rest your vitals. Sailor, sometimes it takes time, but you will have a blast in the barn chasing away visitors. Ann & Caitlin ... so happy for you.

    what is the closest airport... did you say. ;-) ooxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was just looking to see if I could see you laying out in the back yet, but apparently Google has not gotten new images of your home, yet. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, it’s so lovely! I’m so happy for you two! Big hugs from 46th Ave S ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  7. ai yi ai... so incredible. Happy for your safe and soft landing thus far. Furry friends will adjust as you already seem to have. yeah yeah yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! It is so nice to see you so relaxed and breathing that wonderful air. Love the house, barn, root cellar...and the animals, human and miscellaneous.
    xo Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi women! and animals. Love this blog - nice glimpse into your new lives. Sending love from Seattle!
    Sheri 'n Tracy & Pepper

    ReplyDelete